Android Developers Who Charge for their App Can Say Goodbye to Revenue
We have been saying this for years, the future of app monetization is in-app advertising. That is easy for us to say, as inneractive has the most advanced and comprehensive ad mediation platform for your cross-platform ads. However, when Distimo analyzed the Android Market and concluded that paid downloads are a complete failure, it just makes us want to say "we told you so".
Distimo, the industry leader in app store analytics, just released yet another eye-opening report, this time focused on Android and the Market's download numbers. The stats are shocking.
If you are a developer and are targeting the wildly popular Android platform, there are a few things you should know before deciding how to monetize. The following are some of the latest findings of the Distimo report on the Android Market:
- In the Android Market, over the past few years, less than 100 apps have been downloaded at least 5 million times.
- Only Google Maps has been downloaded 50 million times, making it the most popular Android app.
- 80% of all paid apps have been downloaded less than 100 times until now.
- Only two paid Android apps have been downloaded more than a half a million times. In the Apple App Store, 6 apps reach those numbers in two months in the U.S alone.
- There are only 5 Android games that cost money and have reached 250,000 downloads. The App Store has ten in the U.S over the past two months alone!
- When it comes to reaching the top of the store, only 26 apps achieved a top 10 spot in the Market during April, while 94 reached the top of the App Store.
Distimo has a lot more information as well in its latest report, and as a developer, present or future, we recommend you check it out. You can download the report here.